Go back to normal view
Our church is at the corner of Fromond Road and Stoney Lane in the Weeke district of Winchester. It is adjacent to the Weeke shops.
Find us on a Google Map.
Some parts of Weeke were built earlier but a major expansion took place in the 1950s and both the Wesley Methodist Church (1956) and the nearby St Barnabas Parish Church (1957) were built to provide for the needs of this growing area. Further estates were built in the adjacent Teg Down and Harestock areas and the whole area now comprises more than 3,000 addresses. A significant development of comparable size has been commenced on the neighbouring Barton Farm. The North Winchester Community Church (Baptist - no building) was originally based in Harestock but now meets in Weeke. A Roman Catholic worship centre existed in Weeke but unfortunately is now closed.
The centre of the communities of Weeke, Teg Down and Harestock has established itself around the Weeke shopping area and the Wesley Church is central to this increasingly lively hub.
The Weeke centre includes Waitrose, Aldi and Co-operative supermarkets, the last mentioned including a Post Office. A major doctors' surgery is located here, together with Boots, Costa Coffee, a range of restaurants and take-aways and charity and other shops.
In the area there are two primary schools and one secondary school and the Continuing Education Centre of Peter Symonds College, Winchester's premier educational establishment for post-16s, now offering courses up to degree level. The principal provision for pre-school children is the Triangle Playgroup, which meets throughout the week in the Wesley Church premises.
The Weeke area is fast becomng the most significant suburb of Winchester and the Wesley Church is well positioned to serve this community.